Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology offers a scholarship for graduate students in as a research student.
Research students are students under Japan’s professor in respective fields. The aim of this program is to prepare foreign students to master standard and quality for research in the future study of graduate or doctorate. Applicants can continue to the master/doctorate degree if passing entrance examination, exception may happen for students without research students experience, only if he/she gets permit or passing the entrance examination in a university in Japan.
- Registration: June 23-July 14 2020
- Administration Selection Announcement: August 19, 2020
- Written Test: Early September*
- Written Test Result Announcement: Early September*
- Interview: Early October 2020*
- Interview Result Announcement: Mid October*
- LoA (Letter of Acceptance) Seeking: Mid October-Mid November 2020
- Final Announcement: June 2021
- Departure to Japan: Late September-Early October 2021 (No available option for departure on April)
*timeline may change. Please, see update on the page regularly. If the COVID-19 case in Indonesia worsen, there is likelihood of cancellation of the selection.
- Tuition is fully paid.
- Living cost is around ¥143.000/month (research students), ¥144.000/month (graduate students), ¥145.000/month (doctorate students).
- Round trip flights Indonesia-Japan.
- Free of Student visa fee.
- Some universities provide dormitory. For universities with no dormitory, the university will help find a place if needed. The housing cost will be given from living cost.
- No commitment to work for the government after graduation.
- Maximum age 34 years old on April 1, 2021 (was born on or after April 2, 1986).
- Graduate of D4/S1/S2.
- Majoring in the linear fields from the previous degree.
- Minimum 3.2 GPA from previous degree.
- Attaching one of these certificates of English and Japanese Language Proficiency:
- TOEFL-PBT/ITP minimum 570
- TOEFL-iBT minimum 80
- IELTS minimum 6.5
- TOEIC L&R minimum 820
- TOEIC S&W minimum 300
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) minimum level 2/ N2
▶ TOEFL/ TOEIC certificate only from ETS (TOEFL Like and TOEFL Prediction may not be accepted.)*
▶ IELTS which can be used only from University of Cambridge, British Council, IALF and IDP Education.*
▶ NAT-TEST/J-TEST can not be used.
- Physically and spiritually healthy. Applicants can not be pregnant during the selection process until the departure to Japan for accepted applicants.
- Willing to learn Japanese for those who have not proficient yet.
- Fulfill one of the academic requirements here (https://www.id.emb-japan.go.jp/sch_rs2021_acadrequ.pdf)
- For applicants with one or several conditions, may not apply for this scholarship. (https://www.id.emb-japan.go.jp/sch_rs2021_ineligible.pdf)
- Only applicants who fulfill the criteria are advised to apply. Applicants may register online in this website: https://daftar.beasiswamext.com/
- After registering online, you will be sent a confirmation email. You have to print and save the “Test Number.”
- If after 5 minutes you have not received the confirmation email, kindly check the spam box. If there is no confirmation email yet, you may register with different email.
- Complete the required documents. The documents are as instructed.
- All documents are arranged in order and in a big envelope. Write “Research Students 2021” with your Test Number in the right corner of the envelope.
- Send your documents to: Bagian Informasi dan Kebudayaan (Pendidikan), Kedutaan Besar Jepang, Jl. M.H. Thamrin No. 24. Jakarta 10350
- The documents have to be in Japan’s Embassy in Jakarta before July 14, 2020 at 23.59 WIB.
Official Link to Apply: